Monday, December 9, 2013

Stop the car!

One day I was driving down the alley with the picker. It's exactly like Mavs says it is.  Busted up cars, sketchy people hanging out in the garage. Beware of dog signs everywhere.  At the end of the alley are these apartments building in dire need of repair.  They've been the same way since I was a kid. We used to find a door with a jimmied lock and venture inside.  The halls were always so dark and smelled of food that was probably cooked in the last ten years.  We were explorers, adventurers.  Every once in a while somebody would scream at us and try to chase us out the building.  We'd scatter like little bugs.  There were 6 of us all running as fast as we could down the long dark corridors, trying to bust out in the sunshine.  To the other side. So I'm driving down the alley and there is this huge trash container, that people pile up their junk as they move out.  All of a sudden the Picker screams, "STOP THE CAR, stop the car! I slam on my brakes thinking a cat has meandered in front of my vehicle. "Are you crazy!" I yell.  She gets out of the car and slams the door shut.  I don't ask questions when it comes to her.  I let her go.  She trails down to the garbage cans and starts digging.  All of a sudden out come two lamps complete with stained shades.  The look on her face is priceless, the biggest grin ever and she starts walking back toward my car.  I throw it in reverse and pin it backwards. She starts running after me with these huge ugly lamps, lampshades bouncing around with bobble heads. I lock my doors and open the window.  " YOU ARE NOT taking those things in my car!!" "There is nothing wrong with these, open the door you asshole!" She replies. I yell back at her " you dug those out of the ghetto apartment dumpsters, I don't care if you think they are gold, you are not bringing those into my car!" I think she was more shocked than anything, like she actually thought I would think this was a great idea.  She throws me an ugly glare and starts back down the alley to the beehive.  Screaming obscenities all the way down the street.  As I look in the rear view mirror after her I have to laugh.  She totally reminded me of that IKeA commercial where the lady comes out of the store with the big buy and screams START THE CAR, start the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment